Thursday, May 22, 2008

Miranda Giles: Published Authoress

IT’s true. I am published, and I actually owe it all to 395. I wrote a paper for my final in that class about post-modernism and Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo+Juliet, which I ended up lengthening and presenting at the Wooden O Symposium hosted by SUU and the Shakespeare Festival last August. Then I rewrote it some more, and submitted it to be published in the conference journal, was accepted, rewrote a little more still…until yesterday I finally got to see my name in the table-O-contents of the little book. A pretty cool feeling.
It’s a very different paper than what it started as, but I like that it still contains some really random allusions to things like Gone with the Wind, St. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, and American Graffiti, and particularly what Shakespeare would call the ‘vile phrase’: “the pervasive popularity of the playwright who lived to see commercial success in his own day and who has enjoyed an astronomically greater posthumous devotion…”
Sooo anyway a fun success for me to enjoy. I doubt if anyone will ever read my little paper. It is theoretically going to be available on JSTOR (an online scholarly journal data base), but not yet, and maybe not ever.

Some day I promise to write something a lot more fun and to make a good attempt at having it published.


3 comments:

Amy said...

Congrats Rand it is great that you did it! Although I have to say it was hard enough to understand what you just said. (I have a mom brain-except not our mom) I can't imagine reading your paper.

Kate said...

That's awesome! It must be really good with all those revisions! Anyway, that is exciting :)

Mom said...

Eggs-cellent, muchacha! Kudos and bravos and all that good stuff.