Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back to Basics

Okay so like I said I don't really ever take pictures. So this weekend I did something I haven't done in a long time I tore off a roof! Then we actually laid down ply would over the support beams and everything. It was a ward service project. I was hoping to get a chance to put on some shakes but we didn't get that far. So if there's anything left this Saturday maybe I'll put some shakes on after all.

The whole thing was a flash back to working with Dad. I dressed the part and probably looked somewhat like him. Old t-shirt, hat, sunglasses and headphones (the headphones were connected to my i-pod not a radio headset). I remember this one time when he and Roger were shooting at me with their stable guns. They were trying to tell me it was time for lunch without having to walk across the roof. I also remembered why he told me not to be a roofer. It's such hard work! I know he hated doing it but he loved us. When Roger, Nate and I re-did our roof I remember him telling me "Make sure you get an education because you don't want to have to work for a living." Now that I have graduated and have a real job and all I can see how right they were. It would be so hard to do that everyday.

Anyway even though I don't want to have to do that everyday. It was sort of fun to do for a few hours and brought back some fond memories of Dad. I miss him everyday and I know you guys do too. Well gotta go seminary at 6:00 AM...

5 comments:

Miranda said...

Thanks for sharing that Jeff. I wish I could have seen you up there with your hat and head phones. :)

Sally said...

Yeah, you should have had someone take a pic. It would be fun to look at the resemblance.
It's good to hear those experiences with you working with Dad, because none of us girls ever had that. Classic Dad and Roger communication, shooting a staple gun to tell you it was lunch time.
I think I was about 16 when I realized at breakfast one day, talking to Dad, how much he hated roofing, and therefore, how much he loved all of us. I can't imagine going to work at something I really didn't like EVERY DAY! That's heroic to me.

Mom said...

I would have loved the pic too, but have to admit I saw it enough to bring it back easily--especially those UGLY, annoying headphones!

He did hate roofing, but the upside was that he enjoyed driving around town and pointing out jobs he had done. He did get a strong sense of satisfaction out of finishing each one. It was something tangible for the time spent. He needed to be outside and would have disliked a indoor desk job even more

But as you say, it does show how deeply he loved us. That was really the most amazing thing about him--and it probably wasn't as visible as other things sometimes. But it's something I hope you knew, and always will know. Dad had a great capacity for love, and loved all of you more deeply than you probably ever realized--and he still does!

Amy said...

A picure would have been so fun to see! But like mom said we have all seen it enough its funny that you can totally imagine it. Although I'm sure you were far too clean. I loved the story it made me tear up (I know I know)Anyway great to have you back again don't stay away so long next time!

Kate said...

Well he DID comment about Dana getting a job. (which he starts Monday) Thanks for that Jeff, we obvoiusly really like your posts! :)Like everyone else, I think that would have been a great photo opp but it's still a good story. If you go back this weekend...you know what to do.
Chh-ck