Sunday, August 2, 2009

Good Times with Grandma

Of course we have all been thinking about Grandma a lot lately. I've been remembering some of the things that made our Grandma so uniquely wonderful.
Here are just a few of my Grandma gems:

I loved getting ready for church up at Big Bear--especially looking at Grandma's jewelry and the bottles and things on her vanity. When I was about 12 I was in Grandma's room, just looking at myself in the mirror, once I was all dressed. Grandma came in and I felt a little embarrassed. She said to me: 'That's alright. A girl needs to admire herself in the mirror once in a while.' That made me feel much better, and I think she was absolutely right.

Another time at the cabin, Grandma was working on her book and Mom was looking over some of it on the computer. We came to a sentence with a structural problem and mom was trying to get her to change it to which she replied: 'Once a person knows the rules well enough, they are allowed to break them.'

In a rare alone time moment with Grandma the two of us went out on the lake in her old rowboat. Once we got out a little ways we couldn't help but notice there were hundreds, or thousands, of lake carp surrounding us and flopping around enough to make the whole lake surface jump. We were both fascinated, and then shocked when we both realized at the same moment that all the fish seemed to be flopping around in pairs. Grandma's giggling put my 11 year-old embarrassment at ease and we both giggled our way back to shore.

One summer while I was visiting, along with the Large kids, we all set out to climb Castle Rock. We got to a difficult point where I didn't think I could lift myself up and over. I started to cry and said I would just stop right there. Grandma took a long look at me and said, 'Miranda Beth, I am 67 year's old. If I can do this you certainly can.' And I did and the view from the top was wonderful.

Thank you Grandma for always encouraging and teaching me.

What do you remember?

2 comments:

Kate said...

You have such an amazing memory Rand! Those are great little grandma tidbits.
As a kid, I loved going to grandma's house. Not only for the pool but those Barbie coloring books, and any new things down in that kid cupboard. And the organ, and their Atari. I liked how she called me Katrina a lot.
Even though I was very intimidated by grandma when I was little, I have really enjoyed getting to know her better since I've grown and watching her with my kids. I could better see who she is and love her and respect her for those qualities. She will definetly be missed by me and my family.

Amy said...

No kidding Rand your memory is great! I am have alot of memories of Grandma and her love of music and how she always whistled or sang along, I loved listening to her. Also her love for books. I always was proud that she worked so hard on her book. I loved the times with her at the cabin, little hikes and boat rides. I remember how we both loved sitting in the front of the boat and feeling the wind blow. How she loved "pretty things." Of course always talking to and for the animals. We will all miss her I am thankful for the gospel and all that it teaches us that families are forever.