Sunday, April 5, 2009

Life and Love on the Border

Everyone, this is my boyfriend Eter. Eter, everyone. The long-since promised blog post is finally here. This should also answer your email, Mom.
This is us at the border. If you look closely to the right of my head, you can see a sign for Mexico. It's not super convenient having that international line between us, but it could be worse--like digging a grave for your 4 children in frozen ground with a spoon (that's a test to see if you watched General Conference). Sometimes it's pretty exciting, actually. Like last night when we got to watch some poor schmuck/fulano-de-tal make a break for it and run down the freeway, with some not-so-trim border guards trailing after him. To answer what everyone asks me, we speak both languages--whatever we feel like. Also, I have a passport and he has a travel visa, so we can come and go as we please--relatively speaking.
I got to meet Eter's super-amable family this weekend. Quite the opposite of us, he has only brothers so it's mostly a boy house. But, just like us (referring to Jeff-Carrie, Miranda-Bubba) everyone's suddenly got a girlfriend there too. It was fun, and I think they like me despite my blundering Spanish. I used to think I spoke pretty well....
He's excited to meet all of you, too. Mom will probably be first. Anyone else who would like to, come on down to sunny San Diego/Tijuana!

9 comments:

Miranda said...

Nice work! Good conference quiz too. That story really puts a few things in perspective.
This is so great that we are all happy and in love!

Kate said...

The long awaited post is right! And of course I have to give you my ever-clever and witty "You guys are sooo cute!" But I actually mean it and don't care if it's boring. That's so fun that you met his family. I can't wait to meet him too :)
Also, thanks for saying my post had good writing! Seriously made my day.

Kate said...

Forgot to say- nice to meet you Sal-ter!

Amy said...

Great! We can't wait to meet him. You guys look so happy and that is the best of all. Have to say I loved conference, even more than normal it seemed exta uplifting. Thanks for sharing a picture finally!

Mom said...

Yea! I'm excited to meet Eter--I'm thinking I can get down there the week after Easter, but let me know if there's a more convenient date.

Love to all my happy and loving kids. Makes a mother's heart happy to see them all happy.

Jeff Giles said...

Yuck, I want to come down to Mexico. I don't know when... I think Carrie is going to Thailand the first of June.

Sally said...

I thought she was going to Fiji... Is it Thailand, or is that just in addition? Come down whenever. That is a pretty busy time for me because it is right before the end of he quarter, though. Where do you want to go, and what do you want to do?

Jeff Giles said...

Thailand is instead of Fiji. Different program it's going to be a lot cheaper. We may have to wait until she gets back in August or I could just come down who knows. As far as what I want to do:

1) buy fireworks
2) eat some tacos
3) go to the beach
4) Maybe see a lucha libre match
5) you go all the time what do you do?

Sally said...

I don't really go all the time. Eter usually always comes here. I went down last weekend and we watched conference and hung out at his house. But, we can plan a tourist visit for ya, and it'll be fun.