Saturday, July 12, 2008

On Cleaning My Bedroom in 1989:

There are moments when music, like food, can take you right back. I knew that going to a Journey concert would lead me there, and I was right. A lot of 80's music does this for me. Sometimes it seems like I spent my whole childhood cleaning my room, or that giant bathroom mirror, singing along to whatever was Amy or Katie's current favorite song. Things never got very clean, I think, because I was having too much fun singing.

There are some songs that bring up very specific memories. Here are a few:

Billy Joel's 'Still Rock and Roll to Me': We listened to this on the drive home from Utah at some point, I seem to think it was a Conference weekend (I also remember on this trip thinking about how much I liked President Monson). I remember it was on a mix tape that also had Total Eclipse of the Heart, but I liked this song better.

The Beastie Boys 'Brass Monkey' and They Might be Giants 'Mr. Horrible' and 'Particle Man': We played Mario Brothers to these a lot.

1st Mormon Pop Artists, 'In the Hollow of His Hand' and 'I Heard Him Come': I think we got ready for church to these songs every Sunday for three years.

Belinda Carslile 'Heaven is a Place on Earth': This song was what was stuck in my head the whole day of my baptism. HAHA!

I'm sure you all have diffrent musical memories too.

5 comments:

Amy said...

that is funny Rand I see that happening here b/c we have that big age spred. Dallin loves H.S musical and Hannah Montana.Belinda Carlile was Kate. I was definatlet they might be... those were my Ashley and Nick days..lol

Kate said...

My early musical memories go way back to 8 years old (1983) when we used to try and rockabilly dance to "Rock this Town" and do the kick through the whole song. Dana cracks up that I was doing that at 8 and he was a Freshman doing it (with more advanced moves). "Jump" by Van Halen, all mom's old 45's, that dance along record "First you clap once, then you clap twice...I knew you could you're really good.." I bet if I listened to that record I would still know what song was coming next when I listened to it.
Okay, this is getting really long. To mention a few more: Recorded in my journal at 8 as my favorite song "Vacation" Go-Go's. Some favorites as I got older were "Head to Toe" Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam which I remember listening to on my walkman over and over and over on a vacation once, "Heaven"(sorry Miranda for subjecting you to way too much of that song) and "I Get Weak" Belinda Carslile, "Lost in your Eyes" Debbie Gibson. To name a few.
Sounds like you had fun at that concert! Did everyone around you have fun too? :) J/K

Sally said...

I remember laying on my bed at around age 7. The funny thing, thinking about it now, is that it was exactly the room and position of where my bed at home is now. It must have been when for that little while when Amy and Katie took the bunk beds apart in the pink room.
Maybe it wasn't even my bed at the time. I was singing Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called to Say I Love You," thinking how romantic it was.

My favorite songs from when I was 5 were "Eye of the Tiger" and "Seven Seas" by the Eurythmics I think.

Mom's good old "Spaghetti Rag" on the piano.

I remember I bought the infamous Stray Cats album as my birthday present to Amy and Katie. And I remember the dancing at the slumber party.

"See me run, running around in circles, running and running..."
(poor Mom!)

From those Ashley and Nick days when Amy and Katie would let me hang around, I remember being forced to go to bed one night but over and over kept playing Suzanne Vega's "Cafe" song--"Doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo, I am sitting at the counter..." Also, "Jack and Diane" from those days. You guys and your friends were so cool!

Amy's Prince and Guns 'N Roses tapes.

Kate, "Somebody's Cryin'"

And that horrible Saturday's Warrior soundtrack that lasted for another whole year at least of Sunday getting ready.

Kate said...

Oh my Gosh! I remember that Cafe song so well too! That's so funny. I don't remember being allowed to hang around with Amy and her friends though!

Oh one more song memory- I remember being little (probably around 5)on the way to Big Bear and hearing the song "Yesterday" by the Beatles and really feeling how sad it was and listening to the words and even tearing up. Emotional drama queen in the making!

Amy said...

I love these memories I have been cracking up reading them all to Dan (who can't really appreciate it,not being there)
Thanks for the laughs!