Monday, September 14, 2009

The Adventures of Atticus Finch

Meet Atticus. I found him on the ground by the bird feeder when I was watering. In fact, I accidentally watered him! He's missing a number of wing feathers and all of his tail feathers, and I
imagine he had a run in with one of the cats--not

Stripes, of course; I think he'd be afraid of Atticus.

When I reached over and picked him up, he just stayed on my hand and trembled a bit. He can hop from my hand to the bird feeder, but he seems rather weak and shakey--traumatized would probably be the word for it.



I called my friend who knows about birds, and she said he'd grow new feathers as long as he was kept safe. So I fixed him a home in a plastic carton with a loose lid, and I think I'll take him to school-- out of Stripes' way just in case he starts feeling like tiger-ish.









Debbie also said if I keep him awhile, he'll become very tame. So I'll see what happens.














He spent a little while pecking at the plastic box, trying to figure out why he could see through it but not get out there.
Now he seems to have found his pjs and is heading off to sleep.
...To be continued.
























5 comments:

Sally said...

Cute little guy! Yeah, finches are good pets. They sell them cheap at the swap meet.

Kate said...

He's cute! Good job on the rescue mom!

Amy said...

Ohhh, a little bit of Grandma :)
He is cute, I wouldn't put it past stripes its just nature.

Mom said...

I'm sorry to announce that little Atticus Finch wasn't as strong as I had hoped. He flew on in the night to birdie heaven where there are no hiding and pouncing felines and he can eat all the yummy thistle seed he wants.

Amy said...

Sad, good try mom